AWS Serverless Application Module (SAM)
Developer Tools for Serverless Applications on AWS
AWS and its ecosystem provide frameworks/ tools, which help you develop serverless applications on AWS Lambda and other AWS services. These will help you rapidly build, test, deploy, and monitor serverless applications.
There are multiple AWS / open source frameworks available in the market today to simplify serverless application development and deployment.
1. AWS Server Application Model (SAM)
2. Open Source third party frameworks (Apex, Chalice, Clauda.js, Serverless Express, Serverless Framework, Serverless Java Container, Sparta, Zappa)
1.) AWS SAM
For simple applications it is good to use normal Lambda console. However, for complex applications, it is recommended to use AWS SAM. AWS SAM is an “abstraction” of Cloudformation (Infrastructure As Code), which is optimized for serverless applications. It supports anything that Cloudformation supports and it is an Open Specification under Apache 2.0 License.
AWS SAM Local Client
AWS SAM Local is a complementary CLI tool that lets you locally test Lambda functions defined by AWS SAM templates.You can plug this client tool into any of your favorite IDE for higher fidelity testing and debugging.
Now AWS introduced a new IDE for serverless development called AWS Cloud9. This has integrated all the required components for serverless development and testing without relying on any other tool/ IDE.
However, the deployment aspect was missing in AWS SAM and recently that was also added to the AWS SAM to automate the incremental deployments into AWS Lambda. This further allows to roll-out new versions to production in an incremental manner.
2). Open Source third party frameworks (Serverless Framework)
Please do have a look at my previous blog for an article on the Serverless Framework.
1. Developer Tools for Serverless Applications – https://aws.amazon.com/serverless/developer-tools/
2, Comparing AWS SAM with the Serverless Framework – https://sanderknape.com/2018/02/comparing-aws-sam-with-serverless-framework/
4. AWS SAM Local – Build and Test Serverless Applications Locally – https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-aws-sam-local-beta-build-and-test-serverless-applications-locally/
1. Authoring and Deploying Serverless Applications with AWS SAM: – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMyniSCOJdA
2. Serverless Architecture Patterns and Best Practices – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mB1JVlhScs
3. Building CI/CD Pipelines for Serverless Applications – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uOl3B88bcY
4. AWS Serverless Application Model (SAM) Implementation is Now Open-Source – Apr 10, 2018 – AWS Launchpad San Francisco – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxv1dOExq5U
Comments are closed.