Robotic Process Automation (RPA) refers to the use of software “robots” that are trained to mimic human actions on the user interface of applications, and then reenact these actions automatically.
RPA Technology can be applied to wide range of industries,
- Process Automation
- Mimics the steps of rules based process without compromising the existing IT architecture, which are able to carry out “prescribed” functions and easily scale up or down based on the demand
- The back office process automation – (Finance, Procurement, SCM, Accounting, Customer Service, HR) can be expedited using data entry, purchase order issuing, creating of on-line access credentials and complex and connected business processes.
- IT Support and Management
- Processes in IT infrastructure management such as Service Desk Management, Network Monitoring
- Automated Assistant
- Call center software
There are several benefits that RPA can bring in.
1. Cost and Speed – On average RPA robot is a third of the cost of an FTE (Full Time Equivalent)
2. Scalability – Additional robots can be deployed quickly with minimal expenditure. Can train tens, hundreds or thousands of robots at exactly the same time through workflow creation.
3. Accuracy – Eliminates human error
4. Analytics – RPA tools can provide this with ease
1. Identify the business processes involved in your organization
2. Constant mapping of how the employees interact with the current business processes (There is no process re-engineering involved)
3. Find the business processes that require simple data transfers first and then move to complex ones (data manipulations and data transfers)
1. No proper “Open Source” solutions so far.
2. UI Path (http://www.uipath.com/community) – Community Edition (Free for non commercial use)
3. Python based Automation – https://automatetheboringstuff.com/
4. Robot Framework – http://robotframework.org/ – Open Source, premature
5. Pega Open Span – Commercial Version - https://www.pega.com/products/pega-7-platform/openspan